This is a great presentation by the President of the EWG, Ken Cook.
The risk of Cancer in the United States is higher than any other country in the world. Invest a few minutes to watch this video. For the health and safety of your family – it’s eye opening.
Even if we are being exposed. The exposures are so limited.
They can’t be of any consequence. Right?
Are you sure?
Toxins are measured in measured in parts per billion.
One part per billion has been illustrated recently by the chemical companies as the equivalent of a single pancake in a stack of pancake 4000 miles high.
Surely limited amount wouldn’t impact our bodies. It’s “too low” to matter the to chemical companies argue.
The EWG studied to blood of an Sustainable Furniture Maker named Jesse who lives in New York.
He is arguably an average American. This is what was found in his blood. Measured in parts per billion (ppb):
The Blood Content of our “Average American”
- 97.5 ppb – Badge 40H (Liner in canned foods)
- 45 ppb – PFC’s
- 21 ppb – Lead
- 1.11 ppb – Mercury
- .29 ppb – PBDE’s
Common Drugs that impact our body, as they measure in our blood as parts per billion (ppb):
- 30 ppb – Cialis (one dose)
- 30 ppb – Paxil (one dose)
- 2.1 ppb – Albuterol (one dose)
- 35 ppb – Nuvaring – birth control
At small doses – Cialis side effects include a sudden decrease in hearing or vision. Users are directed to call their doctor taking Cialis if they get an erection lasting more than 4 hours.
Drugs are effective at the very same parts per billion that the chemical companies claim are inconsequential in their product. Drugs are designed to be effective at low doses.
Chemicals are not tested to ensure their safety or their absence of side effects at low doses.
Chemicals are consumed without unknowingly and we don’t know if we are putting ourselves, our families and our unborn children at risk.
The evidence is gathering that we are putting them at risk.
We are seeing an alarming increase in disease that can’t be explained by better diagnostics:
- Hypospadias has doubled from 1968 – 1993 – 1 in 125 baby boys
- 62% increase in acute lymphocytic leukemia over short period of time
- 40% increase in Brain Cancer – this is not a matter of better diagnostics, we didn’t miss brain cancer in the 1960′s, 70′s, 80′s & 90′s.
- 1-150 Children – if this is due to better or more frequent diagnosis - where are the Autistic adults?
- Fertility difficulties are rising in women under the age of 25.
- We have the highest rate of cancer in the world and if someone moves here from another country their likelihood of cancer increases – according to the American Cancer Society.
Over and above the Human Cost there is a monitory Cost of to Disorder
- $ 43.4 Billion – Lead poisoning
- $ 9.2 Billion – Neurobehavioral disorders, autism etc.
- $ 8.7 Billion – IQ loss from mercury
- $ 35 Billion – Asthma in Children
What can we do daily to lower our exposure?
Kid Safe Chemical Act:
Help Get it passed!
Most of the figures for this article came from a presentation by EWG president Ken Cook ~ 10 Americans. It’s a great presentation, well worth the time it takes to watch.