By Tania Reuben
Presuming – We’re trying to use less plastic in our daily lives.
Use the following tips to minimize your family’s exposure to plastic toxins:
- Do not use plastics in the microwave – including cling wrap.
- Avoid using plastics with oily food – toxicity leaching increases with contact to oily foods.
- Avoid the dishwasher, especially with plastics that are used for food storage – heat and some detergents cause the plastic to break down. Increasing the leaching of possible toxins.
- Avoid using plastics for warm foods or beverages – leaching is increased with heat.
- Avoid cling wrap – use paper, wax paper or use the Diva Solutions: Paperless “Paper” Towel System. Many cling wraps contain harmful pvc’s that will leach into food.
- When serving food on plastic dishes – think young children – transfer the food for storage. Typically plastic dinnerware is not storage grade.
- Discard plastics that are scratched and worn.
- Don’t drink your water out of plastic bottles.
- Use extra precautions with all baby products – coming soon – plastics and your baby.
- Choose “green” or bio based plastics. You can now find bio based disposable dinnerware and cutlery (I’ve even seen them at Smart & Final)- as an added bonus these products are also compostable.
Finally – once again – use less plastic!